Monday 30 July 2012

Eating Flesh Is No Longer Fresh

I think I might be a little done with zombies.
Actually I'm going to engage in some bad writing as I'm making a statement before then immediately contradicting it, because that's maybe not exactly true.
I'm mostly done with zombies.

It had come to be a couple months ago after I'd noticed there was a continued release of things zombie themed and yet there wasn't much excitement to go with them. It's not that I don't appreciate their appeal, of course - they are perhaps one of the few, maybe the only, bad guy that we can all agree on. We can accept that what they do is bad, their motives are bad, there's no compromise or reasoning, nobody is going to be too annoyed if we kill them as they're already dead.

I can't think of anything since Left 4 Dead 2 where I can say I was really interested in zombies, but even then zombies could be replaced by something else and you'd nearly have the same deal. You just need something to shoot at - let's say slime aliens from Dimension F - you'll still have the guns, decisions over which bombs to take and when to use them, and wondering why that one guy it trying to use a first aid kit at 80% during the gauntlet run. It wouldn't be the same, granted, but you get my point.

Then we have The Walking Dead.

I've read some of the graphics novels (yes, I use that term rather than comics, where appropriate) and a little of the TV show but not much. I have planned to go back to them, but again that sense of "ah, yes, zombies again" lodges itself in my "it's not A.D.D. but it might as well be" centre of my delicious, juicy brains. Time passed, as it will do so when you're putting things off for no reason, and soon after The Walking Dead game from TellTale Games appeared I'd checked in with one of my favourite Minecraft video creators for his Let's Play with himself and his wife and I very much dug how it was not so much about the zombies but the people. One Steam Summer Sale later and it was time to get stuck in. I especially like it's altering storyline stemming from your choices in what you say and what you do. A lot of games with decisions to make, I'll not have much interest in going back to and trying out other things, yet with this I was playing through and even in the first few events I'm catching me thinking maybe I should have told somebody to go screw themselves instead of asking them where they got such a swell hat, or wondering what would happen if took the wax lips from the tremendous dangerous-looking yak rather than hypnotising the quarrelsome rhinoceros. Will I go do these things? I'm thinking probably not right away, but I will do at some time, perhaps after the final chapter is out.

I was going to analyse cliches and easy-outs, but it's 3am and I'm done for now. So time for something relaxed...