Friday 7 November 2014

An Argument For More Personal Profiling on the Internet

Well, on YouTube at least.

I watch a lot of videos - there's nothing on TV during the daytime for an Englishman in France who also doesn't have a TV - typically things like catching up on Let's Plays like a previously missed Yogscast series, hijinx Jesse Cox has gotten into or how people are not "getting" the point of Jim F-ing Sterling, son!

These past two days, I'm getting one particular advert an overwhelming amount of the time (with no exaggeration, no less than 8 out of 10 times) which is a commercial for car safety and not checking your phone. It ends with a small boy being killed in a car accident due to his father looking at the phone message. It's in muted tones, the child holding up his colouring book to try and urge his father to turn around to look even seems flat, blah blah, man looks at phone ding, ends with wreckage and man crying about the torn up picture his kid had drawn.

Cheerful stuff and not something that you want to see when in the middle of the first waves of depression.

Anyway, my point is that a deeper profile of us would have the potential to skip past any unnecessary stuff, things which would not be for us, things we don't want or have any need for and make things much more efficient. Even with the Google AdSence personalisation set up, I'll get perfume adverts once in a while. A more comprehensive understanding would show I don't have or want a car, housewares are not my thing, I don't need beauty creams and I should not be subjected to distressing imagery. You would have your own list of dos and don'ts as well as things you've already had and wished you did not.

Give me the ones for games, music, food, movies. You can keep your perfumes, fashion and car crashes. I'll keep the strange animated shorts about safety with social networking and identity/data protection though, those are fairly entertaining and I'm hopeful it's informative to people.

So I cheered myself up with some delicious comedy. Now you can too!:

and a bonus: